"An effort made for the happiness of others lifts us above ourselves."
There are many organizations in the Edmonton region that do fantastic work. Here are just some of the great people and groups you can contact if you need help, or want to help others.
- YWCA: A women’s organization that advances the wellness and growth of women, girls, and families. They provide education and services to thousands every year through leadership programs, counselling, outdoor education, and supporting people with disabilities.
- Canadian Mental Health Association: A voluntary organization that promotes the mental health of all and supports those who are experiencing mental illness and their families.
- Eating Disorder Support Network of Alberta: An organization that assists those who have been affected by eating disorders by providing information, guidance, and support.
- Global Edmonton Woman of Vision: A program that celebrates the accomplishments of outstanding Edmonton women.
- Women and Money: An organization that provides advice on a variety of financial matters to empower women from all walks of life to achieve financial independence.
- Alberta Council of Women's Shelters: An association of several of Alberta's Women shelters, providing first and second stage shelter from domestic violence, as well as emergency hotline support. Note: several of these shelters also provide services to men.
- The City of Edmonton Housing Information: Provides information about how to access subsidized, seniors, and emergency housing.
- Alberta Ministry for the Status of Women: Headed by Minister Shannon Philips, this provincial government ministry advocates for women's issues across the province.
- Alberta Women Entrepreneurs: A not-for-profit organization that helps women build successful businesses.
- Women in Scholarship, Engineering, Science and Technology: An organization that is taking action to increase the percentage of women in decision-making roles in all fields of scholarship. They deliver programs that increase the diversity of voices represented in science, engineering, and technology.
- The Institute for the Advancement of Aboriginal Women: This organization promotes the leadership of women in Alberta and offers programming and training opportunities.
- Hollaback! Alberta: Part of the international Hollaback movement, this group combats cat-calling and street harassment across Alberta.
- Sexual Assault Centre of Edmonton: A charitable organization that supports individuals who have experienced sexual abuse or assault, and educates the public about sexual violence.
- Equal Voice: A national, non-partisan organization dedicated to electing more women to all levels of government.
- Legal Aid Alberta: Assists Albertans who are facing legal issues in navigating the justice system.
- Internet Safety Resources from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police: Online safety tips to keep personal information safe and recognize scams.